New Year, New Music - Part 1: Hozier

Its a new year, which means I have to add some new music to my iTunes collection. I hit lulls in my music sometimes where I just find all the songs that I have really boring because I've heard them so many times before and it ends up with me just hitting 'next' on my iPod or my iTunes for ages because I just can't be bothered to listen to any of them. I've had that feeling recently and so I decided to go on a quest to find some new music. I didn't have to look very far. 

I've had the song Take Me To Church by Hozier on my iTunes for a while and I love it. My fondness for the song was probably fueled by the fact that Ed Sheeran did a cover of it on Radio Live Lounge recently and I just adore him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOPKDYuUzyw [There's the link to his cover if anyone wants to listen to it]. 
Anyway, because I love the song so much and I love Hozier's style of singing, I thought I would look up his album and download it. That was a great decision on my part. 

 

'Hozier' was released on 19th September 2014 and is the first album released by the Irish singer-songwriter.  The genre of music he releases is described as 'indie-rock; soul; and blues'. Anyone who likes George Ezra, Vance Joy (I'll be writing about him soon), Matt Corby, or X Ambassadors [listen to Unsteady by them by the way, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4mUXqE29co, its amazing], you're definitely going to like Hozier. 

I love the album so much and have been playing it on repeat ever since I downloaded it. Every song is really good but my favourites have to be:
Take Me To Church (obviously): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSVMgRr6pw

Some of the lyrics in his music shows that he's got a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Catholic Church... E.g. in Take Me To Church, he sings "I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies... I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife." So obviously there's a deeper, thought provoking message behind his songs compared to a lot of songs that are released nowadays. 
His music is the kind of music that you can either chill out to and have on in the background, or sing along with it when you're getting ready, or get really angry about things happening in the world when you really listen to the lyrics. For example, the video to go along with Take Me To Church condemnes the Russian Government's brutal criminalisation of homosexuality.

I can't get enough of this album or Hozier's soulful voice so I'm highly recommending it to anyone reading this. I would love to hear your feedback about the album if you listen to it/have already listened to it. Did you like it? What are your favourite songs from it?

Comments

Popular Posts