Millionaire Shortbread! [Chocolate Caramel Shortbread]

Chocolate caramel shortbead. One of the best things ever to be invented in Scotland, and more commonly known as Millionaire Shortbread.  


This is one of my mum's favourites and now because of this recipe, it's one of my favourite's too! It's so delicious and dangerously addictive. 

What's not to love? A crumbly shortbread bottom, sweet gooey caramel and sweet decadent chocolate. Mmm-mm-mmm. 


And it's all so easy to make! I completely forgot to take a picture of the shortbread but you just mix everything together, press it down into the tin and then bake for 25 minutes. [I'll put the full recipe at the bottom of this post]. Next, make the caramel. 

This bit is only 'hard' because you have to stir it constantly. But that's only for about 10 minutes. Pour it over the shortbread and then let it chill till it's firm. 


Next, melt the chocolate and pour it over...


... and then let it cool again till it's firm. 


I can't imagine how amazing this would be if you used actual good quality chocolate. I used the cheapest stuff I could find (I'm tight, I know), and it was still amazing. 


Time to cut into it and enjoy! I loved seeing the distinct layers. I made this as dessert for a Burns Night I had and I was so excited when I finally cut into this. I had like 3 slices right there and then. It is soooo good. The recipe says it serves 12 but... that's a lie.

Ingredients for shortbread:
115g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing 
175g/6oz plain flour 
55g/2oz golden caster sugar 
Ingredients for filling & topping:
175g/6oz butter
115g/4oz golden caster sugar 
3 tbsp golden syrup 
400g/14oz canned condensed milk
200g/7oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces 

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 23cm/9-inch shallow square cake tin.
2. Place the butter, flour and sugar in a food processor and process until it begins to bind together. Press the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden. 
3. Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk in a saucepan and heat gently until the sufar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes very thick. Pour over the shortbread base and leave to chill in the refrigerator until firm. 
4. To make the topping, melt the chocolate and leave to cool, then spread over the caramel. Chill in the refrigerator until set. Cut the shortbread into 12 pieces with a sharp knife and serve.


Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts